“X-Men: Apocalypse” seems likely to X-plode at the box office. But will the comic-book adventure have the power to rule as the biggest movie to open over Memorial Day? Time will tell, but meanwhile, these films are true heroes for the highest-grossing openings for the holiday weekend.
1. PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD’S END (2007) This third entry in the franchise was the high-water mark for series: It raked in a “Pirates” booty of $139.8 million its first weekend.
2. INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (2008) Movie fans still had a jones for Harrison Ford as Indy in this first film in the series since 1989, which raked in a Memorial Day weekend tally of $126.9 million.
3. X-MEN: THE LAST STAND (2006) It sure wasn’t their last stand, but this third “X-Men” film stood tall by opening with a gross of $122.8 million.
4. FAST AND FURIOUS 6 (2013) The sixth entry in the racing saga went into box-office overdrive on its opening weekend and made a fast $117 million.
5. X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST (2014) “X-Men” and Memorial Day go together like grilled hot dogs and toasted buns. The movie opened to a tasty $110.6 million.