It's not looking too good for finding a female “American Idol” this year, as the gals' half of the draw is lacking the same star power as the guys. (Can we really tell the blondes Haley, Hallie and Hollie apart even at this stage?) In any case, here's a look at their preseason rankings:
1. JESSICA SANCHEZ. The 16-year-old from San Diego, Calif., is polished beyond her years with a gorgeous voice and stage presence.
2. SKYLAR LAINE. The 18-year-old from Brandon, Miss., looks like and sings like a young Reba. She has a delightful voice and could be this year's Lauren Alaina.
3. JEN HIRSH. The 25-year-old from Agoura Hills, Calif., is one of those semifinalists who has the voice to go far, but may struggle connecting with voters. Singing competition? She'd nail it. “Idol”? It's still unclear.
4. SHANNON MAGRANE. The 16-year-old from Tampa is a home-run-hitter of a singer. She swings for the fences with her big, powerful voice and sometimes she misses. But when she hits she is stunning.
5. BAYLIE BROWN. The 22-year-old from Krum, Texas, has grown into a country powerhouse and could be this year's stealth success. She seems like a shoo-in for the Top 12.
6. ERIKA VAN PELT. The 26-year-old from South Kingstown, R.I., is clearly a professional with a strong voice. If she can connect with the right song, she could make the cut.
7. HOLLIE CAVANAGH. After getting heartbreakingly close last year to the Top 24, the 18-year-old from McKinney, Texas, returned and showed how much she has improved. Has she grown enough to win? We'll see.
Exclusive subscription offer
Newsday covers the stories that matter most to Long Islanders. We dig deep to uncover the facts, hold the powerful in check and keep a watchful eye on Long Island.
Your digital subscription, starting at $1, supports local journalism vital to the community.SUBSCRIBE NOW
8. ELISE TESTONE. The 28-year-old from Charleston, S.C., has a powerhouse voice that sometimes gets away from her, but could go deep into the competition.
9. CHELSEA SORRELL. The 23-year-old from Stokesdale, N.C., struggled with nerves (and lyrics) in her final audition, but has a lovely voice and personality that could help her with voters.
10. HALLIE DAY. The 24-year-old from Baltimore made a big first impression, but then the show kind of forgot about her. She's on the bubble, but has the voice to push her way through.
11. BRIELLE VON HUGEL. Unfortunately, the 17-year-old from Staten Island has been saddled by producers' decision to show a lot of her mom and her comments. She has a strong voice, but there's a lot of negative energy associated with her, too.
12. HALEY JOHNSEN. The 23-year-old from Beaverton, Ore., hasn't had a lot of screen time, but she's had a couple of big moments as she struggles to develop her self-confidence.