#11 Black Keys
Welcome to the Backstage Pass year-end countdown. Happy holidays! Last week, we looked at the best albums of 2010. This week, we tackle the singles.
15. Arcade Fire, “Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)” (Merge): It makes going to the mall sound like an adventure and gives Arcade Fire one of its most deceptively straightforward songs yet.
14. LCD Soundsystem, “I Can Change” (DFA): Gorgeous desperation set to irresistible new wave.
13. Ryan Star, “Start a Fire” (Atlantic): An undeniable rush of hormones and pop craftsmanship.
12. M.I.A., “Born Free” (XL): Adrenaline and defiance combine to show how M.I.A. has no plans of backing down. (Warning: The video is ultra-violent.)
11. Black Keys, “Tighten Up” (Nonesuch): The Black Keys augment their spare blues rock with a Danger Mouse groove and broader instrumentation for spectacular results.