Kanye West is always full of surprises.
However, for the final North American show of his “Yeezus” tour, he was practically a different person from earlier in the tour and from his outrageous controversial public persona.
Could it be that ‘Ye, a new father who recently got engaged to Kim Kardashian, is becoming, um, nice?
It may be hard to reconcile with the hard-hitting “Yeezus” album and even with parts of the show, but during the unscripted part of his Nassau Coliseum show Sunday night he seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself.
Maybe it was because Kardashian and members of her family, including mom Kris Jenner and sister Kourtney, were in the building. Or maybe it was because the ambitious tour was coming to a mostly successful close. But West was all smiles and doing things he normally never does at his concerts.
Here’s a look at the five biggest surprises from his show:
1. THE SETLIST: He played “Gold Digger,” to the delight of the crowd, as well as “In Paris,” his smash with Jay Z that he “never performs without my brother.” He threw in "Run This Town" and "All Falls Down" too.
2. SIGNING BONUS: He signed a fan’s pair of Nike Air Yeezy 2 Red October shoes while onstage. "You cannot frown when you've got on a pair of Yeezys," he said, adding that "what makes me happy is making y'all happy."
Exclusive subscription offer
Newsday covers the stories that matter most to Long Islanders. We dig deep to uncover the facts, hold the powerful in check and keep a watchful eye on Long Island.
Your digital subscription, starting at $1, supports local journalism vital to the community.SUBSCRIBE NOW
3. OPRAH: Apparently, O is not down with "New Slaves." “You can’t call yourself a slave, Kanye!” West said Oprah Winfrey told him.
“No, you can’t call yourself a slave because you’re Oprah,” he said he responded, adding that he has struggled with a lack of artistic freedom. “For me, to be free is to think something and be able to bring it into reality… I fought for it so much.”
4. THERAPY: “Therapists are like: ‘This is how you can sound like a normal human being and not be misunderstood. Instead of saying that you killed the past 10 years and were the most influential artist, don’t say [expletive] like that. Just say that it was alright and just say thank you’,” he said, adding. “I’m working on sounding extremely humble and as much like a [expletive] robot as possible.”
5. PASSED THE MIC: West signed his mic and gave it to a fan with a Yeezus tattoo before the end of “Bound2,” letting the guy deliver the final verse. Yes, Kanye West didn’t have the final word. And he was fine with that.
SETLIST: On Sight / New Slaves / Send It Up / Mercy / Power / Cold / I Don't Like / Clique / Black Skinhead / I Am A God / Can't Tell Me Nothing / Coldest Winter / Hold My Liquor / I'm In It / Heartless / Blood On The Leaves / Lost in the World / Runaway / Stronger / Through The Wire / Jesus Walks / Diamonds from Sierra Leone / Get ‘Em High / All Falls Down / Touch the Sky / Gold Digger / Homecoming / Dark Fantasy / Run This Town / In Paris / Flashing Lights / All Of The Lights / Good Life / Bound 2