Madonna's big, safe Super Bowl halftime show was good, but, truthfully, much less than what we have come to expect from her.
Here's a look at some of her more engaging live performances from the past and how they surpassed what we got last night. And I'm not even throwing in the controversial “Hollywood” performance from the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards, because everyone just remembers that she kissed Britney Spears, not anything she did musically.
1. Inventiveness: “Vogue” (MTV VMAs 1990)
2. Emotion: “Like a Prayer” (Live 8, 2005)
Exclusive subscription offer
Newsday covers the stories that matter most to Long Islanders. We dig deep to uncover the facts, hold the powerful in check and keep a watchful eye on Long Island.
Your digital subscription, starting at $1, supports local journalism vital to the community.SUBSCRIBE NOW
3. Artistry: “Frozen” (Drowned World Tour, 2001)
4. Attitude: “Ray of Light” (Live Earth, 2007) *um, there's a bit of swearing here, which was OK, because the censors weren't, you know, asleep
5. Fun: “La Isla Bonita” (Confessions Tour, 2006)