TODAY'S PAPER
88° Good Afternoon
88° Good Afternoon
Entertainment

Placido Domingo has cancerous polyp removed from his colon

Placido Domingo underwent surgery last week to remove a cancerous polyp from his colon but is expected to make a full recovery, his spokeswoman said yesterday.

The 69-year-old tenor had surgery last week at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan and was released Sunday, spokeswoman Nancy Seltzer said, according to The Associated Press.

The malignancy was localized, and the operation was laparoscopic, a minimally invasive procedure in which a small incision is made in the abdomen, Seltzer said.

Doctors have ordered Domingo to rest for six weeks, Seltzer said in a statement. It's anticipated that he'll return April 16 with a performance of Verdi's "Simon Boccanegra" at Milan's Teatro alla Scala, she said.

In addition to singing and conducting, Domingo will continue as general director of the Los Angeles Opera and the Washington National Opera.

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

More Entertainment