The group performances during the Hollywood round for the "American Idol" women were a train wreck -- not sure I've ever seen a worse round on this show.
At least three groups did "Somebody That I Used to Know," and they were all terrible or horrible (to pick a couple words that the judges kept resorting to tonight.)
Only two groups were actually good; if this is going to be the year a woman finally wins the show again, they're going to have to raise their game.
Below's how I ranked the groups; add your thoughts to the comments, below.
1) Fantastic Candice Glover's drama-free group -- "Swagettes" -- killed it on "Hit 'Em Up," with great harmonies and strong performances from Kamaria Ousley, Yonkers' Melinda Ademi and Denise Jackson impressing everyone.
2) Quirky Kez Ban didn't get along at all with Breanna Steer, Angela Miller and Janelle Arthur during rehearsals, but when it came time to sing "Be My Baby" they shone and stayed out of each others' way. It was more a series of solo performances than anything, but they got Nicki Minaj up on her feet, saying "I think all four, you're really special."
3) Janel Stinney and her group may have been "dysfunctional" in Ryan Seacrest's words, but they have interesting personalities and good individual voices so Stinney, Kriss Mincey and Cristabel Clack moved on with lots of help from Minaj, who loved them and lobbied for them. The group members correctly stated afterwards, "we are sharing in our surprising success -- very surprising."
4) Britnee Kellogg, Kree Harrison, Brandy Neely and Haley Davis did an up-tempo, non-hokey version of "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition," -- they actually sang together well and by just being half-competent all move on, except for Neely.
5) Savannah Votion's group did an off-pitch, disjointed "Somebody That I Used to Know." After only one of them made it through, they predictably turned on each other.
6) Lauren Mink's group did a hokey "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" -- not sure how they all got through.
7) Seretha Guinn, Tenna Torres and Kiara Lanier did a ragged version of "American Boy" that left Minaj saying, "that was so painful -- what was that?" She ripped each of them, saying she "forgot what I loved about all of you before."