"American Idol" had one of its best shows of the season by forcing the finalists to sing contemporary songs, from the 21st century.
Haley Reinhart had her best performance of the year, although Casey Abrams stole the show with his big kiss for Jennifer Lopez.
Only Stefano Langone and, to a lesser extent, Lauren Alaina, didn't do well. Really, he needs to go. He's out of his league at this point.
Below's how I rated everyone. Put your two cents worth in the comments.
1) Haley Reinhart's "Rolling in the Deep," may have been my favorite performance by her this season. She just kept you listening with her fabulous, reflective voice.
2) James Durbin's wailing "Uprising" had Steven Tyler calling him "out of his mind, beautifully so" -- it was like a jolt of electricity. The guy is mad creative.
3) Casey Abrams sang "Harder to Breathe" well, but he may have had his defining moment on this show when he gave Jennifer Lopez a loud kiss on the cheek. What a rock star move!
4) Jacob Lusk ' "Dance With My Father" maybe meant too much to him. As he said afterward, he "sang from his heart," which made it a beautiful, if not a great moment.
5) Scotty McCreery was fun, comfortable and in full voice on "Swingin'" -- but for whatever reason, the judges suddenly decided to tell him not to do his thing and try something new.
6) Lauren Alaina sang "Born to Fly" and was told by the judges to, essentially, spread your wings!
7) Stefano 'the flirt' Langone did "Closer" in his usual, high-energy, bounding around the stage way. But no artistic vision and super-cheese doomed it to also-ran status on a strong night.