Well, here we are in the true dog days of summer, especially when it comes to TV. There's not much new on the tube, and we've still got a few weeks to wait before the new shows arrive. But, to be honest, we never quite understood why such a listless time has to be described by dissing our canine friends. After all, they've given us so much pleasurable viewing over the years -- especially these five animated pooches:
1. ASTRO -- This gray Great Dane gave much joy to George, Jane, Judy and Elroy Jetson. Well, maybe not George, who never quite mastered the treadmill-like device on which he walked Astro ("Jane, stop this crazy thing!").
2. HUCKLEBERRY HOUND -- Only on TV can dogs be blue, wear a red bow tie and talk with a honeyed Southern accent.
3. REN -- Certifiably insane Chihuahua who made life miserable for his feline partner, Stimpy, on the long-running Nickelodeon show.
4. MR. PEABODY -- This erudite, bespectacled beagle also wore a red tie. And he was the adoptive father of human boy Sherman, who time-traveled with him weekly on "Rocky and His Friends" in the ingenious "WABAC machine."
5. SANTA'S LITTLE HELPER -- Scrawny greyhound adopted on Christmas Eve by the Simpson family after he was unceremoniously booted from Springfield's dog-racing track for losing too many races.