Time magazine once called J.R. Ewing a "human oil slick." Surely such slicks have a lot of colorful stories, right? Here are five great -- meaning ignominious -- J.R. moments:
* J.R. commits Sue Ellen to a sanitarium. Hey, at least it was all a dream -- specifically season 8, which was all Pam's (Victoria Principal) dream.
* J.R. secretly mortgages Southfork to enrich himself (who else!)
* J.R. is told by the devil (Joel Grey) to kill himself -- he doesn't, of course, but in the CBS series finale, J.R. gets to see what the world would have been like without him.
* J.R. is shot! At the end of season 2. Whodunit? Sue Ellen's sister / J.R.'s mistress Kristin Shepard (Mary Crosby).
* J.R. is near death again! He and half-bro Ray Krebbs (Steve Kanaly) get in a fight, causing an inferno at Southfork, the season 5 cliffhanger.