CBS chief foreign correspondent Lara Logan - who was sexually assaulted (not raped,however) in Tahrir Square in the closing hours of the Eqyptian revolution in February - will appear for the first time since then on CBS's air this Sunday; Scott Pelley, the next anchor of the "Evening News," will interview her.
Here's the full release:
Lara Logan feared she would die a "torturous death" during a sexual assault and beating she suffered at the hands of a violent mob in Egypt's Tahrir Square. In her first television interview since her ordeal two months ago, the CBS News chief foreign correspondent and "60 Minutes" reporter reveals what happened to her for the first time in an interview conducted by Scott Pelley.
Logan's story will be broadcast on "60 Minutes" this Sunday, May 1 at 7 p.m. ET/PT. On Feb. 11, Logan was on assignment for "60 Minutes" covering Egypt's mass celebration of its revolution. With her in Tahrir Square in Cairo were her producer, Max McClellan and cameraman Richard Butler. There was also an interpreter and a former member of Britain's elite military special services acting as a bodyguard.
She reported without incident for nearly an hour before her interpreter heard words in the Arabic-speaking crowd that gave him pause. He advised the team to leave, but before they could, a mob of several hundred men encircled Logan, who soon became separated from her team and bodyguard as the crowd swept her up. Logan lost contact with her colleagues for approximately 25 minutes and endured a sexual assault and beating that she feared she would not survive.
"There was no doubt in my mind that I was in the process of dying," she tells Pelley. "I thought not only am I going to die, but it's going to be just a torturous death that's going to go on forever..." Thoughts of her two young children helped reinforce her determination to survive the assault, she says, which finally ended when she was rescued by a group of Egyptian women and soldiers.
The soldiers drove her and her team back to their hotel, where she was examined by a doctor. She returned to the U.S. the next day and went directly into a hospital, where she was treated for four days. When Logan saw her children, "I felt like I had been given a second chance that I didn't deserve...because I did that to them. I came so close to leaving them, to abandoning them," she says.
Logan, who began her first full day back in her "60 Minutes" office Wednesday (April 27), says she is healing. "I am so much stronger [now]." She hopes her story will give courage to other victims of sexual assault, especially female reporters who fear such admissions may impact their work.