Prosecutors won't file charges against a cast member of MTV's "Jersey Shore" who had been accused of punching another woman at a South Beach nightclub.
Prosecutors in Miami-Dade County said Wednesday they won't charge Sammi "Sweetheart" Giancola after another woman claimed she was punched in the face May 8, The Associated Press reports.
Prosecutors say a case of battery may have occurred but it's not their policy to file misdemeanor charges against those no longer in the county. Giancola has since returned to New York.
Prosecutors said the case, though now closed, could be reopened if Giancola returns to the Miami area.
Giancola's attorney, James Leonard Jr., says his client doesn't plan on returning to Florida. He calls the accusation "a feeble attempt to get publicity."
Meanwhile, Giancola may want to savor her 15 minutes of fame. TMZ reported Wednesday that she, Vinny Guadagnino, Ronnie Ortiz-Magro and Angelina Pivarnick "underwhelmed" MTV executives during filming for "Jersey Shore's "second season and could be replaced for the third season. "They should be very worried," a source told TMZ.
Four new members would join "Jersey Shore" for the third season along with Jenni "JWoww" Farley, Michael "The Situation" Sorrentino, Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi and Paul "Pauly D" DelVecchio - who would reportedly remain with the cast.