A man who kept City of Newburgh police at bay in a 10-hour standoff Wednesday entered Orange County Court in a wheelchair Thursday and pleaded not guilty to attempted murder.

Gosford Lembhard, 26, was dressed in an orange jumpsuit and had his left arm in a cast as he was arraigned before County Court Judge Nicholas DeRosa. He complained of pain and claimed his shoulders and arm were broken when police took him into custody at the end of Wednesday's standoff, News12 reported.

Prosecutors claim Lembhard shot at a man, a woman and a 4-year-old child in a car last September and later told acquaintances he would kill any cop who tried to arrest him, News12 said.

DeRosa issued orders of protection for the three people Lembhard allegedly shot at and ordered Lembhard returned to the Orange County jail in lieu of $500,000 cash or $1 million bond.

So far, no charges have been filed against Lembhard in Wednesday's standoff, but additional counts are possible, Lembhard's attorney Michael Sussman told News12.

Gosford Lembhard is the oldest brother of Michael Lembhard, a 22-year-old man who was shot dead by Newburgh police during a confrontation in March. The case inflamed tensions between some city residents and the police department. A grand jury later cleared the officers in the killing.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Gosford Lembhard previously had failed to show up at a November arraignment on the charge, leading to the issuance of an arrest warrant that officers were trying to serve at 6 a.m. Wednesday, triggering the standoff at 57 Liberty St. Lembhard waved a gun at police and took four people, including his 10-year-old niece, inside the house as officers took up positions outside, News12 reported.

As the tense standoff wore on Wednesday, Lembhard spoke to a News12 reporter by phone, claiming the charges are "fraudulent" and saying police are pressuring the victims to press the case against him.

Juanita King, a cousin of Lembhard's, said the standoff was not a hostage situation. She said Lembhard feared he'd meet the same fate as his brother Michael if he came out, and that the people inside the house with him were trying to figure out how to get him out alive.

The standoff ended when Lembhard jumped from a first-floor window and was tackled by police, who used a stun gun on him several times while restraining him. Bystanders charged past police tape and began screaming and causing a frenzy after Lembhard's arrest.

Officials at Orange County Courthouse said Thursday they had no immediate information on Lembhard's next court date.