TIP Use an instant-read meat thermometer to determine doneness: Color can be misleading. Breasts should be cooked to 160 degrees and thighs to 170 degrees.
CHERRY-BALSAMIC GLAZED GRILLED CHICKEN
May be made with skin on or off; see nutrition below.
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 chicken thighs, about 2 1/4 pounds
2/3 cup cherry preserves
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
1. Preheat grill for medium, indirect-heat cooking.
2. Combine the garlic powder, coriander, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub mixture over both sides of each chicken thigh and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine the preserves, vinegar and soy sauce in a bowl.
4. Place chicken, skin side down, on the grill rack away from the heat source; grill 10 minutes. Turn the chicken over and grill another 10 minutes. Turn the chicken again so it is skin side down, and brush with half the glaze mixture; grill 5 minutes. Turn the chicken and brush with the remaining glaze. Continue grilling until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of the thigh (but not touching the bone) registers 170 degrees, about 4-6 minutes. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition per serving 450 calories, 30 g protein, 38 g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber, 20 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 583 mg sodium
Nutrition per serving without skin 358 calories, 29 g protein, 38 g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber, 10 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 573 mg sodium
GREEK-FLAVORED CHICKEN KEBABS
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon oregano leaves, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound skinless, boneless
chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 (8-ounce) zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1. Light the grill for medium- high direct-heat cooking.
2. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, oregano, garlic and salt in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Allow to stand at least 20 minutes.
3. Add the zucchini and cherry tomatoes to the bowl; toss thoroughly to coat the vegetables. Thread the chicken, zucchini and tomatoes on 8 metal skewers and place on the grill.
4. Grill 3 minutes, until undersides are well marked and chicken lifts easily off the grill. Turn the skewers and grill another 3 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition for each serving 247 calories, 26 g protein, 4 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 13 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 352 mg sodium
PIQUANT ISLAND CHICKEN BREASTS
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 4 pieces
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon grated lime zest
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons hoisin
1/2-1 teaspoon hot sauce (such
1. Pound the chicken breasts to an even 1/4-inch thickness.
2. Combine the ginger, garlic, lime zest and juice, hoisin and hot sauce in a bowl; add the chicken and toss to coat. Allow to marinate 30 minutes.
3. Light the grill for medium- high direct-heat grilling. Remove chicken from the marinade; discard liquid and place chicken on grill. Cook until underside is well-marked and lifts readily from the grill, about 5 minutes. Turn and grill until a meat thermometer inserted horizontally into the center of the thickest piece registers 160 degrees, about another 5 minutes. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition for each serving 157 calories, 26 g protein, 5 g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber, 3 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 193 mg sodium