GRILLED PEACH-AND-STRAWBERRY SALAD
4 large firm peaches (about 1A pounds), quartered
1 teaspoon canola oil
2 cups strawberries, sliced
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
1 teaspoon lime zest
1. Heat the grill for direct-heat cooking.
2. Toss the peaches with the oil, taking care to lightly coat the cut surfaces.
3. Place the peach wedges, cut-sides down, across grill. Cook 5 minutes on each cut side, or until the peaches are well marked and lift easily from the grill. Allow to cool slightly and cut into 1-inch pieces.
4. Toss the strawberries with the sugar, mint and lime zest. Gently stir in the peaches. Taste, and add sugar if needed. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 82 calories, 1 g fat, no saturated fat, 2 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 2 mg sodium
GRILLED PINEAPPLE-AND-RED ONION SALSA
1/2 pineapple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1 small red onion, cut into thick rings
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 red bell pepper, quartered
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1. Light grill for direct-heat grilling. Brush pineapple rings and red onion slices lightly with the oil.
2. Place the pineapple, onion and red pepper (skin-side down) on the grill. Cook the pineapple and onion slices until well marked on the undersides, about 5 minutes; turn and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Grill the red pepper until the skin sides are charred, 6 to 7 minutes.
3. When cool enough to handle, cut the pineapple, onion and red pepper in 1/2-inch pieces. Combine the salt, sugar and cayenne; add to pineapple and toss. Stir in the lime zest and cilantro. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 66 calories, 2 g fat, no saturated fat, 1 g protein, 13 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 99 mg sodium
GRILLED PLUMS WITH BALSAMIC-BLACK PEPPER DRIZZLE
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 plums, halved
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1. Combine the balsamic vinegar, sugar and black pepper in a saucepan, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, 7 to 8 minutes. (The mixture will thicken as it stands.)
2. Meanwhile, light the grill for direct-heat grilling. Toss the plums with the oil and place, cut sides down, on the grill. Cook until they are well marked and no longer stick to the grill surface, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until again well marked and fork tender, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
3. Drizzle the sauce over the plums. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 80 calories, 1 g fat, no saturated fat, no protein, 20 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, no sodium