GREEN MYSTERY DIP
The chili pepper makes the dip mildly spicy. It may be omitted or doubled, depending on your preference. Use cut-up vegetables to decorate the dip.
1 cup cilantro leaves
1 serrano (or jalapeño) pepper, seeded
1 small clove garlic
1/2 cup canola mayonnaise
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Combine all ingredients in the blender and puree until smooth. Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 72 calories, 1 g protein, 1 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 7 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 195 mg sodium
TIP: The Green Mystery Dip may be made up to 4 days ahead and kept tightly covered in the refrigerator.
SPICED PUMPKIN SEED DIP
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 cups roasted pumpkin seeds
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet pan with cooking spray.
2. Beat the egg white until frothy; stir in the lime juice. Add the pumpkin seeds and toss well.
3. Combine the cumin, chipotle chili powder, salt, garlic powder and coriander in a medium bowl. Add the pumpkin seeds and toss until they are evenly and well-coated.
4. Spread the pumpkin seeds out evenly on the sheet pan and bake 7 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake until the spice blend adheres and has deepened in color, about another 7 minutes. Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 175 calories, 9 g protein, 5 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 15 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 318 mg sodium
MONSTER’S EYEBALLS PITA PIZZAS
4 pita breads
2 ripe avocados
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
4 Persian cucumbers, cut in 1/4-inch slices
4 sticks mozzarella string cheese, cut across into rounds
1/4 cup sliced black olives
2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped green bell pepper
1. Toast the whole pitas. (If they don’t fit in your toaster, this may be done directly on the rack in a 425 degree oven.)
2. Mash the avocado in a medium bowl; stir in the salt and lime juice. Spread the mash evenly on top of the pitas.
3. Place cucumber slices randomly over the avocado. Top each with a round of cheese followed by an olive slice. Place a green or red pepper bit in the hole of the olive.
4. Cut each pita into 4 wedges to serve. Makes 16 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 101 calories, 4 g protein, 11 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 205 mg sodium