TIP Store apples in the refrigerator to keep them crisp longer; for maximum flavor, bring them to room temperature before eating.
CHICKEN WITH APPLE, SWEET POTATO AND SPINACH
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in 2-inch chunks
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large apples (about 1 pound) cut in 1-inch pieces
2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut in 1-inch pieces
1 medium red onion, cut in 1/4-inch thick wedges
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine
5 ounces baby spinach
1 tablespoon sage leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1. Toss chicken with flour, salt and pepper. Heat oil in deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium high; add chicken in single layer and cook until lightly browned, turning once, for a total of 10 to 11 minutes. Transfer to plate. Add apple to the skillet; cook until lightly browned on undersides, about 2 minutes. Transfer to plate with the chicken.
2. Add sweet potato and onion to skillet; cook 1 minute and add broth and white wine. Bring to boil and cook until potatoes are still slightly firm just in center, about 15 minutes. Add chicken and apples back to pan, reduce heat to simmer and cook 10 minutes until potatoes and chicken are cooked through. Remove from heat; stir in spinach and sage until spinach is wilted. Swirl in butter until fully incorporated and serve. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving 470 calories, 29 g protein, 52 g carbohydrates, 8 g fiber, 12 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 564 mg sodium
FIELD LETTUCES WITH APPLES, WALNUTS AND BLUE CHEESE IN MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE
1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon honey
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 Granny Smith apples, cut in 1/4-inch slices
1/3 cup walnuts halves
1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon finely minced shallots
6 cups mixed lettuces
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Whisk together 1 teaspoon of the olive oil with the honey and salt; toss with the apple slices. Spread the apple out in single layer on the baking sheet and roast until golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Place walnuts on uncoated baking sheet in oven at same time; toast 5 minutes until aromatic and lightly browned. Remove from oven and transfer to plate to cool.
3. Make the dressing: whisk raspberry vinegar, Dijon mustard and shallots with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Toss with the lettuce, blue cheese, walnuts and roasted apples. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving 265 calories, 7 g protein, 18 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 20 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 344 mg sodium
BRAISED SAUSAGE, APPLES AND CABBAGE
1 pound Italian turkey sausage, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup chopped onion
2 Granny Smith apples, cut in 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup apple juice
6 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Cook sausage over medium high in large nonstick skillet until it is no longer pink on outside, about 6 minutes. Add onion and apple and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, apple juice, cabbage, sugar, vinegar and thyme; bring to a boil. Immediately reduce to a simmer, cover the pan and cook 20 minutes until the cabbage is tender. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving 305 calories, 24 g protein, 38 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 7 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 779 mg sodium