TIP Grilling brings out the sweetness in fruit. Try adding a pinch of salt or cayenne to any of these dishes to enhance it even more.
GRILLED PEACH AND HONEY SUNDAES
4 peaches, halved (pits removed)
1 teaspoon canola oil
2 cups low-fat vanilla ice cream
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup honey
1. Preheat the grill for medium heat cooking. Brush the cut sides of the peaches with oil.
2. Place the peaches cut-side down on the grill and cook 6 to 7 minutes, until they are well marked and tender.
3. Place two peach halves in each bowl; top with ice cream and sprinkle with nuts. Drizzle with honey and serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition for each serving 277 calories, 5 g protein, 52 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 7 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 46 mg sodium
GRILLED FRUIT SALAD
Add a pinch of cayenne to bring out the fruits' natural sweetness.
1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 8(1/2-inch-thick) slices
4 peaches, halved
1 tablespoon canola oil
16 ounces strawberries, halved
1 cup blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
1. Preheat grill for medium-heat cooking.
2. Toss the pineapple and peaches with the oil until they are evenly coated. Grill until well marked on the undersides, about 3 minutes; turn and repeat. Transfer to a cutting board and allow to cool 10 minutes.
3. Cut grilled fruit into 1-inch pieces; toss with strawberries and blueberries. Stir in lemon juice and sugar; allow to stand 10 minutes. Stir in the basil and serve. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition for each serving 162 calories, 2 g protein, 41 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 3 g sodium
GRILLED FRUIT SKEWERS WITH LIME SYRUP AND TOASTED COCONUT
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon lime zest
1/2 fresh pineapple, cut intp 1-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 cups)
Watermelon cut into 1-inch chunks (about 2 cups)
1 cantaloupe, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup toasted coconut flakes
1. Combine sugar, lime juice and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring to dissolve sugar. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture thickens to syrup consistency, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in zest.
2. Heat the grill to medium.
3. Alternating ingredients, thread the pineapple, watermelon and cantaloupe onto skewers. Place over direct heat and grill until nicely marked on the undersides, 3 to 4 minutes; turn and repeat. Remove from heat and brush fruit with the lime syrup. Sprinkle with coconut and serve. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition for each serving 175 calories, 2 g protein, 41 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 2 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 27 mg sodium