GRILLED PORK CHOPS WITH PLUM SALSA
3 large plums, chopped (about 4 cups)
1⁄2 large jalapeño, minced
1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
1⁄2 cup basil, chopped
1⁄4 cup mint, chopped
2 teaspoons lime juice
3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
4 (8-ounce) bone-in pork chops
1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Heat the grill for medium-high direct heat cooking.
2. Combine the plums, jalapeño, red onion, basil, mint, lime juice and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and allow to sit out while you prepare the pork.
3. Season the pork chops with the remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, cumin and black pepper. Grill 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until an instant-read meat thermometer registers 160 to 165 degrees. Serve with the plum salsa. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 252 calories, 33 g protein, 9 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 9 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 504 mg sodium
GRILLED PORK PAILLARDS WITH MUSTARD-TARRAGON SAUCE
4 (5-ounce) boneless center-cut pork chops
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
1 shallot, finely minced
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons tarragon leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon honey
1. Working one at a time, place a chop between 2 layers of plastic wrap and pound to an even 1⁄4-inch thickness. Season with the salt and pepper.
2. Heat the grill for medium-high cooking (400 degrees).
3. Whisk the shallots, mustard, vinegar, olive oil, tarragon and honey until smooth and set aside.
4. Place the pork on the grill and cook until it is well marked on the undersides and releases easily from the grill surface, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook for another 3 minutes.
5. Serve with the sauce. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 268 calories, 26 g protein, 4 g carbohydrates, 0 fiber, 16 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 509 mg sodium
SPICE-RUBBED GRILLED PORK TENDERLOIN
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1⁄2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (to taste)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 (1-pound) pork tenderloins
1. Heat the grill for medium cooking (350-400 degrees).
2. Combine the cumin, coriander, chipotle chili powder, sugar, salt and cinnamon in a bowl; rub the mixture evenly over the entire surface of both tenderloins.
3. Place the pork on the grill and cook with the lid closed, turning three or four times, until the pork is cooked to an internal temperature of 160 to 165 degrees, a total of about 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 179 calories, 29 g protein, 5 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 356 mg sodium
TIP: Use an instant-read meat thermometer to ensure the pork is tender and juicy, as it gets dry and tough when overcooked.