GRILLED POUNDCAKE WITH BERRY SAUCE
16 ounces strawberries, hulled and halved, divided
12 ounces blackberries, divided
1 pint blueberries, divided
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 (16-ounce) poundcake, cut in 1⁄2-inch slices
2 tablespoons chopped mint
1. Prepare the grill for direct-heat cooking.
2. Combine 1 1⁄2 cups of the strawberries, 1 1⁄2 cups of the blackberries, 1 cup blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and 1⁄4 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the berries are softened, about 5 minutes. Mash lightly with a spoon. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and boil, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Combine the butter and canola in a small bowl and brush 1 side of each cake slice lightly with the mixture. Place the cake on the grill brushed-side down and cook 1 minute until it is lightly toasted and marked; flip and cook 1 more minute.
4. Stir the mint and remaining berries into the sauce, and serve spooned over the cake. Make 16 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 173 calories, 2 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 9 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 83 mg sodium
SUMMER BERRY CLAFOUTI
The clafouti sinks as it cools — and tastes just as good when it does.
2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved
1 cup blackberries or blueberries
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 cup (1-percent) milk
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
Confectioners’ sugar (for dusting)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a deep 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
2. Toss the strawberries, blackberries or blueberries with the cornstarch and place on the bottom of the pie plate.
3. Combine the milk, eggs, melted butter, vanilla, flour and sugar in the blender and puree until smooth. Pour over the fruit and place in the center of the oven. Bake until golden and puffed, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, dust with the confectioners’ sugar and serve warm. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 204 calories, 6 g protein, 29 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 7 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 59 mg sodium
16 ounces strawberries, hulled
1⁄2 cup strawberry preserves
1⁄4 cup chopped basil
1 teaspoon lime juice
1⁄4 cup water
1. Combine the strawberries, preserves and basil in a food processor and puree until smooth. Add the lime juice and water and puree. Transfer to a shallow baking dish, cover and freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
2. Use a fork to break up the mixture into chunks and return to the food processor; blend until smooth. Freeze.
3. To serve, allow the sorbet to soften for about 10 to 15 minutes in the refrigerator. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 90 calories, 1 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 0 fat, 1 mg sodium
TIP: These berry-based desserts are all around 200 calories or less.