PEACH AVOCADO SALAD
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons honey
1⁄2 large jalapeño, finely minced
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
3 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
4 large peaches (about 2 pounds), sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1. Combine the lime juice, honey, jalapeño and salt in a small bowl; whisk until the honey is dissolved.
2. Combine the cucumbers, peaches, mint and basil in a large bowl; toss thoroughly with the dressing. Add the avocado and toss gently. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 189 calories, 4 g protein, 30 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 8 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 151 mg sodium
GRILLED PORK CHOPS WITH BOURBON-PEACH SAUCE
Leftover sauce keeps well for up to a week in the refrigerator.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1⁄4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 medium peaches, about 1 pound, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
1⁄4 cup honey
1⁄4 cup bourbon, divided
3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
4 (8-ounce) bone-in pork chops
1. Heat the grill for medium-high direct-heat cooking.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, chili powder and cinnamon and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the peaches, vinegar, honey, 3 tablespoons of the bourbon and 1⁄4 teaspoon of the salt and cook until the peaches are very soft, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly and transfer to the blender: puree. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon bourbon.
3. Meanwhile, season the pork with the remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Grill the pork 4 minutes, turn and grill 2 minutes. Brush with the sauce and cook another 2 minutes. Serve the pork with the remaining sauce. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 393 calories, 34 g protein, 29 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 12 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 525 mg sodium
GRILLED PEACHES WITH ORANGE-BALSAMIC SYRUP
1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
1⁄2 cup orange juice
1⁄4 cup brown sugar
4 medium peaches, halved and pitted
2 teaspoons canola oil
1. Heat the grill for medium-high direct-heat grilling.
2. Combine the balsamic vinegar, orange juice and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Continue boiling, stirring occasionally, until the syrup lightly coats the spoon, about 12 to 14 minutes. There should be about 1⁄4 cup of the syrup. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool.
3. Coat the peaches on all sides with the oil and place, cut sides down, on the grill. Cook until the undersides are nicely marked, about 4 minutes; turn and grill until the peaches are fork tender, another 3 to 4 minutes. Serve with the syrup drizzled over the peaches. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 152 calories, 2 g protein, 33 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 3 g fat, 0 saturated fat, 3 mg sodium
TIP: Use somewhat firm peaches for grilling and cooking; save the soft, juicy ones for eating raw.