SUMMER CORN SALAD
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons lime juice
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
3 cups fresh corn kernels (from 3 ears)
3 Persian cucumbers, cut in 1⁄4-inch dice
6 medium radishes, cut in 1⁄4-inch dice
1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
1⁄2 cup fresh basil, cut in thin strips
1⁄4 cup fresh mint, chopped
Combine the oil, lime juice and salt. Stir in the corn, cucumber, radish, tomato, basil and mint. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 194 calories, 5 g protein, 30 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 9 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 317 mg sodium
CORN AND CRAB CHOWDER
4 slices center-cut bacon
1 cup chopped onion
2 ribs celery, chopped
1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
3 cups (2-percent) milk
1⁄4 cup flour
3 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
1 pound red potatoes, cut in 1⁄4-inch dice
2 cups corn kernels (from 2 ears)
1 pound lump crabmeat, picked clean
1 teaspoon lime zest
1 tablespoon lime juice
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1. Cook the bacon over medium heat in a large soup pot; drain on a plate lined with paper towel and chop.
2. To bacon fat in pot, add the onion, celery and thyme and cook 3 to 4 minutes until softened.
3. Whisk the milk and flour together in a small bowl; add to the pot. Add the chicken broth and potatoes, and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through and the soup is thickened, about 15 minutes.
4. Add the corn and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the crab, lime zest and juice and salt and cook 2 minutes until heated through. Stir in the bacon and cilantro and serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 399 calories, 36 g protein, 52 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 7 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 978 mg sodium
SAVORY CORN ON THE COB
2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lime juice
1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
4 large ears corn, shucked
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring 2 inches water to boil in a large pot.
2. Combine the mayonnaise, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne (if using) in a bowl.
3. Add the corn to the boiling water and cook until bright yellow and crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from the pot and brush with the mayonnaise mixture. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 156 calories, 5 g protein, 28 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 270 mg sodium
TIP: To cut corn kernels from the ear without making a mess, place the tip of the cob in a large bowl and hold it upright as you cut.