POMEGRANATE ROAST CHICKEN WITH CARROTS AND POTATO
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
2 cloves garlic finely minced
3⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1⁄2 pounds potatoes, scrubbed and cut in small wedges
2 1⁄2 pounds chicken thighs (6 thighs)
8 ounces baby-cut carrots
2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
1⁄4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger powder
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Coat a shallow baking sheet pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine the olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the potatoes and toss thoroughly. Add the chicken and carrots and toss until evenly coated.
3. Spread the potatoes and carrots out on the baking sheet; place the chicken on top. Roast in the center of the oven until the chicken and potatoes are lightly browned and cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees, about 35 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine the pomegranate molasses, broth, lemon juice and zest, sugar, cardamom, coriander and ginger powder in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Continue boiling 3 minutes. Combine the cornstarch with 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl; stir into the sauce and boil 1 to 2 minutes until the sauce is thick and glossy. Brush over the chicken and return to the oven for another 5 minutes, until the chicken is glazed and reaches an internal temperature of 170 degrees, about another 5 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 422 calories, 29 g protein, 34 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 19 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 447 mg sodium
TIP: Prepare the chicken up to one day ahead and bring it to room temperature before reheating.
FRAGRANT RICE PILAF WITH CARAMELIZED ONION, PISTACHIOS AND DRIED APRICOTS
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 cup chopped onion
1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup white rice
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1⁄3 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
1⁄3 cup shelled pistachios
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are golden and soft, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan over medium high. Add the coriander, cumin and nutmeg and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the rice and toast it in the spices, stirring, 1 minute. Add the onions, broth and apricots, bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer. Cover the pot and cook until the water is absorbed, another 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to stand, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in the pistachios, parsley and salt. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 243 calories, 5 g protein, 38 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 8 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 220 mg sodium
ORANGE-ALMOND HONEY CAKE
1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
6 eggs, separated
1⁄2 cup sugar
2⁄3 cup honey
1⁄4 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray, then dust lightly with flour. Sprinkle the almonds on the bottom of the pan.
2. Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Add the honey, orange juice, orange zest, lemon zest and vanilla. In a second bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom and salt and make a well in the center. Pour in the yolk mixture and stir until just combined.
3. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and gently fold into the batter. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until the cake springs back when touched, about 40 to 44 minutes. Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 218 calories, 6 g protein, 39 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 167 mg sodium