SHRIMP WITH PEPPERS, ZUCCHINI AND PEACHES
1 1⁄2 pounds large shrimp, peeled
1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, chopped, about 1 cup
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium zucchini, (about 12 ounces), cut in 1⁄4-inch half-moons
1 medium orange bell pepper, cut in 1⁄4-inch strips
2 medium peaches, halved and pitted, each cut in 8 wedges
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Combine the shrimp, sriracha and 1⁄4 teaspoon of the salt in a bowl.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add half the shrimp and cook until lightly browned and opaque, about 1 1⁄2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate, add the remaining shrimp to the skillet and repeat.
3. Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the zucchini and pepper and cook until slightly softened, about 3 to 3 1⁄2 minutes. Add the reserved shrimp and peach wedges; cook, tossing, 1 minute, until the shrimp is heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 293 calories, 32 g protein, 17 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 12 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 552 mg sodium
LINGUINE WITH FRESH CLAMS
8 ounces linguine
2 tablespoons olive oil
1⁄2 cup chopped onion
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup bottled clam juice
1 cup white wine
2 pounds littleneck clams in shells
2 tablespoons butter
1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil; add the linguine and cook 5 minutes (it will not be cooked through). Drain.
2. Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the basil, clam juice and wine and bring to a boil; cook 3 minutes until slightly reduced. Add the pasta and top with the clams; cover and cook until the clams open and the pasta is al dente, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add butter and toss until it is melted. Stir in the parsley and red pepper flakes. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 431 calories, 17 g protein, 49 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 14 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 522 mg. soldium
MUSSELS IN COCONUT-BASIL BROTH
1 tablespoon canola oil
1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced ginger
2 cups light coconut milk
1 cup low-sodium chicken or fish broth
1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped basil
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (or to taste)
4 pounds mussels
Heat the oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk, broth, basil, lime juice, brown sugar, fish sauce and sriracha and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the mussels, cover the pot and cook until they open, about 5 to 6 minutes. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 271 calories, 19 g protein, 20 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 13 g fat, 6 saturated fat, 865 mg sodium
TIP: Store shellfish in a bowl in the back of the refrigerator (where it is coldest). Do not store in water.