MEDITERRANEAN POTATO SALAD
1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes (2-inch), quartered
1 medium fennel bulb, cut across into 1/2-inch-thick slices
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and sliced
1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
1 tablespoon drained nonpareil capers
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/3 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray.
2. Toss the potatoes, fennel, 1 tablespoon of the oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast, tossing once or twice, until the potatoes are tender and lightly browned, 23 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine the sun-dried tomatoes, olives and capers in a medium bowl. Add the potatoes, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, and vinegar; toss well. Let stand 5 minutes. Gently fold in the sliced basil. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 190 calories, 3 g protein, 24 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 11 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 332 mg sodium
3/4 cup canola mayonnaise
4 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Sriracha (or to taste)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 cups shredded green cabbage
3 cups shredded red cabbage
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup sliced scallion
1. Combine the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, Sriracha, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
2. Add the green and red cabbages, carrots and scallions and toss thoroughly. Chill 1 hour before serving. Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 102 calories, 1 g protein, 9 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 6 g fat, 566 mg sodium
TEX-MEX MACARONI SALAD
12 ounces elbow pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
8 ounces shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
2/3 cup canola mayonnaise
1 (15.5-ounce) can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup sliced black olives
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup pickled jalapeño slices
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain again and transfer to a large bowl.
2. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and green pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes until starting to soften. Stir in the chili powder, cumin and tomatoes. Cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes are slightly softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Combine the cheese and mayonnaise and add to the cooled pasta. Stir in the black beans, olives, cilantro, jalapeño and tomato mixture. Makes 10 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 304 calories, 14 g protein, 37 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 11 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 430 mg sodium
TIP: The salads may all be made a day in advance and brought to room temperature to serve.