Monday is Veterans Day, and that means that the kids are off from school. Here are five fun events to keep your family entertained all day long:
1. A Letter to My Hero at Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis Ave., Garden City) from 2 to 4 p.m. Kids can help honor America's heroes by sending them letters of thanks. Appropriate for all ages. Price: Free with museum admission.
2. School's Out! Veterans Day at Center for Science Teaching and Learning (1 Tanglewood Rd., Rockville Centre) from 9:30 to 11 a.m. Children ages 5 to 12 can explore nature and science with hands-on activities. Price: $50
3. Archaeological Dig at Maritime Explorium (101 East Broadway, Port Jefferson) from 1 to 5 p.m. Kids can learn how to use transects and quadrats to go on an archaeological dig right at the museum. Price: $5
4. Extreme Rec Day at Southampton Town Recreation Center (1370A Majors Path, Southampton) from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Kids can enjoy a day of arts and crafts, inflatable fun, kickball, board games, basketball and more. Admission includes lunch, snacks and refreshments. Price: $10
5. Pioneering Spirit at Science Museum of Long Island (1526 N. Plandome Rd., Manhasset) from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Kids can spend the day living like an early American. Under the supervision of the museum's teachers, children can dip candles, churn butter, make soap and more. Price: $60