Any woman who is or has been pregnant in July and August can attest: Beating the heat while expecting isn't easy. A key to making it through the dog days of summer is choosing the right maternity clothes.
“When shopping for summer maternity clothes to take you through those hot and humid months, women should invest in a few stylish lightweight pieces that can be worn for day or night,” said Lauren Maslin, founder of encorematernity.com and celebrity stylist.
Here, Maslin, who helped style new mom Bethenny Frankel for "Real Housewives," offers 6 stay-cool maternity fashion tips, no matter what trimester you're in.
1. Be comfortable. "Stay away from synthetic clothing that will make you sweat more," she said. "Lightweight cotton or linen fabrics allow the body to breathe and keep you cool even in the midday heat."
2. Stay on trend. "Invest in flowing maternity summer dresses in colorful off-the-runway floral prints," said Maslin. "Try a cotton maxi sundress or maternity wrap dress in bold colors or pretty pastels."
3. Ditch dark denim. "Stick to lightweight white maternity jeans or
cotton leggings paired with a sheer tunic," she said. "You can even show off your legs in cuffed bold colored shorts and pair with fitted maternity tanks and T-shirts."
4. Accessorize. Dress up any outfit with gold bangles and hoops.
5. Keep your hair off your neck. "Tie it up in a patterned scarf or use a pretty jeweled clip or headband," Maslin said.
6. Protect your feet. "Comfortable shoes are a must, so lose the flip-flops," she said. "Metallic or nude strappy sandals or low wedges with a padded foot bed can easily be paired with any look." Be sure to choose extra-supportive shoes, especially in the third trimester.
Photo: Cristina Gad wears an Isabella Oliver one shouldered cotton-spandex maternity dress.