When you think of the word "vacation," what comes to mind? For some it's a tropical destination, for others it means a tour of a European city. But for many families, "vacation" typically means kid-friendly fun, whether it be a cruise, an amusement park or a camping trip.
To determine where families are vacationing, FamilyFun magazine conducted a survey of 2,000 parents with children ages 3-12 and asked them to rate 360 popular destinations on a scale of 1-100. High marks were awarded for affordability, accessibility and fun factor from top tourist towns and outstanding attractions to can't-miss museums.
Here are the top 10 overall favorite family destinations according to FamilyFun:
1. Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho
2. Acadia National Park in Maine
3. Carlsbad Caverns National Park in New Mexico
4. Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona
5. Mount Rushmore National Memorial in South Dakota
6. Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in Michigan
7. Yosemite National Park in California
8. Disney’s Magic Kingdom Park in Florida
9. Glacier National Park in Montana
10. Pearl Harbor Visitor Center/USS Arizona Memorial in Hawaii
“Vacations provide a special time for families to come together and create lasting memories,” said Ann Hallock, editor-in-chief of FamilyFun. “And we were thrilled to see that so many are choosing to do that while heading outdoors to take advantage of our wonderful national parks system.”
Click the photo below for to view pictures of the top 10 family travel destinations.