Sometimes nothing says “I love you” quite like a homemade gift. So if you're looking for gift ideas for your kids to give to dad on Father's Day, why not have them design a craft for him?
To help you get started, I found this fun craft idea in “Paper Made! 101 Exceptional Projects to Make Out of Everyday Paper,” by Kayte Terry (Workman Publishing; $16.95). These homemade cuff links use origami stars that, once you get the hang of how to make them, are a cinch to do and are sure to be a hit with any dad.
Lucky Star Cuff Links
What you need:
-2 strips of regular-weight paper (1/2" x 11")
-Acrylic sealer (optional)
-A pair of cuff link blanks
How to do it:
1. Hold one strip of paper with the wrong side facing up and make a loop at one end, leaving a 1/2 inch tail overlapping the longer end.
2. Slip the long end through the loop and gently pull it tight to tie a knot. Then flatten the knot so that it forms a pentagon.
3. Fold the short end and tuck it under a flap of the pentagon.
4. Fold the long end of the strip diagonally over the pentagon, so the edge lines up with one side of the pentagon.
5. Fold the long end of the strip diagonally over the pentagon again, lining up the edge with the side of the pentagon adjacent to the one in the previous fold.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the end of the strip is too short to fold again.
7. Tuck the end under a flap in the pentagon as you did in step 3.
8. Gently push the tip of your finger into each side of the pentagon to puff up the star.
9. Repeat steps 1 through 7 with the second strip of paper to make another star.
10. Use the brush to cover both stars with a thin layer of decoupage medium. Let dry and repeat two times to create a thick coat. Optional: Spray acrylic sealer on the front, back and sides of the start and let dry.
11. Apply a small dot of E600 glue to the flat side of one cuff link blank and center it on a star. Repeat with the second blank and star to complete the pair of cuff links. Let dry.
Substitute earring blanks for the cuff links to make a pair of studs. String stars together to make a bracelet or a necklace. Or make a whole slew of stars for a decorative alternative to Styrofoam packing peanuts.