In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a colorful, healthy smoothie. I found the recipe in "My First Juices & Smoothies: Healthy Recipes Children Will Love," by Amanda Cross (Hamlyn, an imprint of Octopus Publishing Group; $9.99).
(Makes 2 standard glasses)
- 3 kiwifruits
- 2/3 cup tangy flavored yogurt, such as lemon or orange
- 1 small mango
- 2 tablespoons orange or apple juice
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
1. Peel and coarsely chop the kiwifruits, then process in a blender until smooth.
2. Spoon the kiwi mixture into two tall glasses. Top each glass with a spoonful of yogurt, spreading the yogurt all the way to the sides of the glasses.
3. Peel the mango, remove the pit and chop the flesh very coarsely. Blend the mango to a puree with the orange or apple juice and spoon into the glasses. top with another layer of yogurt.
4. Blend the raspberries and push through a strainer over a bowl to extract the seeds. Check their sweetness. You might need to stir in a little honey if they're sharp.
5. Spoon the raspberry puree into the glasses.