In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a refreshing dessert to enjoy after a fun-filled holiday. I found the recipe in the "150 Best Desserts in a Jar," by Andrea Jourdan (Robert Rose; $24.95).
Cherry Berry Smoothie
(Makes 3-4 servings)
What you'll need
- 4, 12-ounce tall jars
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup frozen pitted cherries
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
- 1 cup cherry-flavored yogurt
- 1?2 cup almond milk (see tip below)
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds (see tip below)
1. In blender, purée berries, cherries, banana, cherry yogurt, almond milk and honey. Blend at high speed for 2 minutes. Pour into jars, dividing equally.
2. In a bowl, mix plain yogurt and almonds. Top each jar with a dollop of the mixture and serve immediately.
- Substitute an equal quantity of low-fat milk for the almond milk.
- Ground almonds are often called “almond flour.” They are available in well-stocked supermarkets or natural foods stores.