In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly-food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a new twist on the classic cheeseburger. I found the recipe in "Delicious Disney Just for Kids," by the Disney Chefs with Pam Brandon (Disney Editions; $14.95).
(Makes 8 calzones)
For the meatballs:
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 1/2 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
For the calzones:
- 2 1/2 pounds pre-made pizza dough
- 12 slices American or cheddar cheese
- 1 (24-ounce) jar pasta or pizza sauce
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with aluminum foil.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and knead until thoroughly mixed. Form mixture into 12 (2-inch) meatballs.
3. Place meatballs in prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cooked through.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Roll out each portion into a 5-inch circle.
3. For each calzone, cut one slice of cheese in half diagonally and place one triangle of cheese on the lower half of a dough circle. Chop one meatball into bite-sized pieces and place on top of cheese triangle. Top with remaining cheese triangle. Fold top portion of dough over filling and crimp edges to seal.
4. Place calzones on baking sheets and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
5. While calzones are baking, warm sauce in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
6. To serve, pour 1/4 cup pasta or pizza sauce over each calzone, or serve sauce on the side, if desired.