In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose an easy weekday dinner idea. I found the recipe in the "Betty Crocker Cookbook, 11th Edition: Box Tops for Education Special Edition," by Betty Crocker (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; $29.99).
Chicken and Spinach Stuffed Shells
(Makes 6 servings)
- 18 large pasta shells (from 16-oz package)
- 1 container (15 oz) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups frozen cut-leaf spinach, thawed, squeezed to drain
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1 jar (26 oz) tomato pasta sauce
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend (8 oz)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package. Rinse with cool water; drain.
2. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, spinach and chicken.
3. Spread 1 cup of the pasta sauce in bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish. Spoon about 2 tablespoons ricotta mixture into each pasta shell. Arrange shells, filled sides up, on sauce in baking dish. Spoon remaining sauce over stuffed shells.
4. Cover dish with foil; bake 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Italian cheese blend. Bake uncovered 5 to 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Recipes and photos from BETTY CROCKER, Betty Crocker Cookbook, 11th Edition: Box Tops for Education Special Edition. Copyright © 2013 by General Mills, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.