In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose an easy-to-make cookie. I found the recipe in "Smart Cookie: Transform Store-Bought Cookies Into Amazing Treats," by Christi Johnstone (Running Press; $16).
O Christmas Tree
(Makes 12 cookies)
- 1 (16-ounce) can white frosting
- Green food coloring
- 12 round cookies, slightly larger than the widest part of the sugar cones
- 12 sugar cones
- 1 cup of your favorite sprinkles, candies or sugars, for decorating
1. To make green frosting, place the white frosting in a bowl and add the green food coloring one drop at a time, stirring after each addition. Continue adding color and stirring until the desired shade is reached.
2. Spread the cookies with a layer of frosting.
3. Place one sugar cone on each cookie. Ice the sugar cones with frosting. Add sprinkles, candies or decorations as desired.
Reprinted with permission from Smart Cookie © 2014 Christi Farr Johnstone, Running Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group.