In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a delicious quick bread, perfect for breakfast or dessert. I found the recipe in "Betty Crocker The Big Book of Bread," by Betty Crocker (Betty Crocker; $19.99).
Cinnamon Bubble Loaf
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 1/2 cups Original Bisquick mix
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Ingredients for glaze, if desired
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons water
1. Heat oven to 375F. Grease bottom and sides of 9x5-inch loaf pan with shortening or cooking spray. In small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon; set aside.
2. In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, 1/3 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons softened butter, the milk, vanilla and egg until soft dough forms.
3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in cinnamon-sugar. Place dough randomly in pan. Sprinkle with any remaining cinnamon-sugar. Drizzle 2 tablespoons melted butter over dough balls.
4. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on cooling rack for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix all glaze ingredients until smooth and thin enough to drizzle.
5. Loosen sides of loaves from pan; remove loaf from pan to cooling rack. Drizzle glaze over loaf. Serve warm.