In my ongoing quest to find tasty kid-friendly meals for you that are healthy and appropriate for the whole family, this week I tried grilling fruit. I found the recipe in "We Can Cook," with recipes by Jessica Fishman Levinson and Maja Pitamic (Barron's; $17.95), a cookbook featuring 75 simple recipes and activities to introduce your child to the joys of cooking.
GRILLED PLUMS WITH YOGURT DIP
(Makes 4 servings)
Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup nonfat Greek or plain yogurt
4 teaspoons honey
1. Cut the plums in half along the seam to the pit, then twist each half in opposite directions to separate them. Remove the pits.
2. Lightly brush the plums with olive oil, using your fingers, and set them aside.
3. Spray the grill with cooking spray and heat it to medium-high. When it is hot, add the plums to the grill and cook for about 5 minutes. Flip the plums and cook on the other side for another 5 minutes.
4. While the plums are grilling, mix the yogurt and honey in a bowl with a fork until well combined.
5. When the plums are done, remove them from the grill and set one plum (2 halves) on each plate. Spoon about a quarter cup of the yogurt-honey dip on each plate, next to or over the plums.