In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a delicious end-of-the-summer fresh salad. I found the recipe in "KewlBites: 100 Nutritious, Delicious and Family-Friendly Dishes" by teen star Reed Alexander (Rodale Books; $21.99). Serve for lunch or in a bowl alongside chips for a snack or starter.
Kewl Chopped Guacamole Salad
(Makes 6 servings)
- 4 ripe Roma tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 large yellow tomato, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 ripe avocados, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 sweet white onion, cut into 1/4-inch chunks
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
1. In a large bowl, gently combine the red and yellow tomatoes, avocados, onion and cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Add the lemon juice and toss lightly to combine.
Reprinted from "KewlBites" by Reed Alexander. Copyright (c) 2013 by Reed Alexander. By permission of Rodale Books. Available wherever books are sold.