In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a savory twist on a classic comfort food. I found the recipe in "Recipe Girl," by Lori Lang (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; $24.99).
Macaroni and Cheese Soup with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
(Makes 4 servings)
For the tomatoes:
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry macaroni elbows
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1?2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1?2 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 ounces shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
1. To roast the tomatoes, preheat oven to 425°F. Place the tomatoes, cut side up, on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast the tomatoes for 12 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let them cool at room temperature while you prepare the soup.
2. To prepare the soup, in large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until softened and fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk in the flour. Slowly whisk in vegetable broth and add the bay leaf. Increase the heat to high and bring the broth to a boil. Add macaroni and boil until it is almost tender, about 8 minutes.
3. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Stir in cream, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce and pepper. Add cheese and continue to stir until cheese is completely melted.
4. Bring the soup to a boil again for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat. Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with roasted tomatoes.
Reprinted with permission from the publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, from "The Recipe Girl Cookbook" by Lori Lange. Copyright 2013.