In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a fresh take on traditional tacos. I found the recipe in "The Big Book of Pies & Tarts," by Betty Crocker (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; $19.99).
Muffin Tin Taco Pies
(Makes 6 servings, 2 pies each)
Ingredients for crust
- 1 box refrigerated pie crusts, such as Pillsbury, softened as directed on box
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Ingredients for filling
- 1 pound lean (at least 80 percent) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 package (1 oz.) 40 percent less sodium taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup chunky-style salsa
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (4 oz.)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Toppings, if desired
- Sour cream
- Sliced jalapeño chilies
- Sliced ripe olives
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped avocado
- Chopped tomato
1. Heat oven to 400°F. On floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll each pie crust to 12-inch round. Cut 6 (4-inch) rounds from each crust. Firmly press rounds in bottoms and up sides of 12 ungreased regular-size muffin cups. In small bowl, beat egg white and cumin with whisk until frothy. Generously brush mixture over insides of each pastry-lined cup.
2. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Add onion. Reduce heat to medium. Cook 3 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked and onion is tender; drain. Stir in taco seasoning mix, salsa and water. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Spoon hot beef mixture evenly into muffin cups.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until crust edges are golden brown. Sprinkle tops of pies with cheese. Bake 2 to 3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with toppings of choice.
Recipes and photos from "Betty Crocker, The Big Book of Pies & Tarts" Copyright © 2013 by General Mills, Minneapolis, Minn. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.