In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose an easy-to-prepare dessert. I found the recipe in "Simply Sensational Cookies" by Nancy Baggett (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; $29.99).
One-Pot Honey-Oatmeal Drop Cookies
(Makes 40-45 21?2- to 3-inch cookies)
- 1 1?2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 2?3 cups packed dark or light brown sugar
- 1?3 cup clover honey or other mild honey
- 1?4 teaspoon regular table salt or 3?4 teaspoon coarse crystal salt, divided
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1?2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 3?4 cups unbleached all-purpose white flour
1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven; preheat to 325°F. Generously grease several large baking sheets or coat with nonstick spray.
2, In a very large saucepan or pot, melt butter until fluid over medium heat, stirring. Remove from heat. Stir sugar, honey and salt into the butter; if using regular table salt, add it all, if using coarse crystal salt, add 1?8 teaspoon and reserve the remainder for garnishing the cookies.
3. Continue stirring the mixture, mashing out any lumps of sugar until completely smooth. Thoroughly stir in the oats and baking powder. Let the dough stand until cooled slightly.
4. Stir flour into the dough until evenly incorporated. Let it stand to firm up for five to 10 minutes. Using soup spoons or a 1 1?2-inch-diameter ice cream scoop, scoop up the dough and drop in even 1 1?2-inch mounds, spacing two inches apart. Pat down the mounds into 2-inch rounds. If garnishing with coarse salt, add a few crystals to the cookie tops.
5. Bake (middle rack) one sheet at a time for 10 to 13 minutes or until the cookies are brown at the edges and lightly tinged on top; watch carefully, as they may brown very rapidly at the end. Transfer the baking sheets to wire racks. Let the cookies firm up for about two minutes. Using a wide spatula, transfer the cookies to the wire racks. Let cool completely.
6. Store these, airtight, for up to one week. They can be frozen, airtight, for up to one month.