In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose an easy breakfast idea, perfect for back-to-school. I found the recipe in "Triple Slow Cooker Entertaining: 100 Plus Recipes and 30 Party Plans," by Kathy Moore and Roxanne Wyss (Robert Rose, $24.95).
Overnight Fruited Oatmeal
(Makes 8 to 10 servings)
- 1 1a2 cups steel-cut oats
- 1a3 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1a3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see tip below)
1. Spray one slow cooker stoneware with baking spray. Add oats, raisins, cinnamon, water and apple juice, stirring to combine.
2. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until thick. Turn to warm for serving.
3. To serve, spoon oatmeal into bowls and sprinkle with walnuts.
-If you prefer, you can omit the apple juice and use 6 cups water.
-Toasting walnuts intensifies their flavor. Spread chopped walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350AF for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool.
Excerpted from "Triple Slow Cooker Entertaining" by Kathy Moore & Roxanne Wyss A 2013 Robert Rose Inc. robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission.