In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a classic comfort food for a warm winter day. I found the recipe in the "Triple Slow Cooker Entertaining: 100 Plus Recipes and 30 Party Plans," by Kathy Moore and Roxanne Wyss (Robert Rose; $24.95).
All-Time Favorite Chili
(Makes 6 to 8 servings)
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes and green chilies, with juice
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dry minced (granulated) garlic
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (14 to 19 oz.) red, kidney, pimento or black beans, drained and rinsed
1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat, breaking beef up with a spoon and stirring often, for 6 to 8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender. Drain off fat.
2. Transfer beef mixture to one slow cooker stoneware. Stir in tomatoes with juice, tomatoes and chilies with juice, chili powder, garlic and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in beans.
3. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours, until hot and bubbly. Turn to warm for serving.
Accompany this chili with bowls of shredded Cheddar cheese, chopped onions, sliced jalapeño peppers and/or other favorite chili toppings.
Excerpted from Triple Slow Cooker Entertaining by Kathy Moore & Roxanne Wyss © 2013 Robert Rose Inc. robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission.