In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a healthy, make-ahead breakfast cereal, perfect for National Breakfast Month. I found the recipe in the Food Kitchen on FoodNetwork.com.
Slow-Cooker Whole-Grain Breakfast Cereal
(Makes 6 to 8 servings)
- ¾ cup dehulled whole barley
- ¾ cup steel-cut oats
- ½ cup cornmeal (not coarsely ground)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Kosher salt
- Topping suggestions: milk, chopped dried fruit, fresh fruit or nuts
1. Combine 4½ cups water, barley, oats, cornmeal, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon stick and ½ teaspoon salt in a slow cooker and cover and let sit overnight, at least 8 hours.
2. In the morning, set the slow cooker to high and cook until the grains are tender, about 2 hours, stirring once halfway through. Ladle the porridge into serving bowls and add your favorite toppings.