In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose an easy-to-prepare Halloween sweet treat. I found the recipe in "Smart Cookie: Transform Store-Bought Cookies into Amazing Treats," by Christi Johnstone (Running Press; $16).
Along Came a Spider
(Makes 12 cookies)
- Black licorice laces (about 16 feet long)
- 12 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1 cup white candy coating
- 24 candy eyeballs
1. Cut the licorice into 48 strips, each about four inches in length.
2. Gently twist open the chocolate sandwich cookies.
3. Place four licorice strips onto the side of the sandwich cookie with the filling, and press gently into the filling.
4. Prepare the candy coating according to package directions. Working one cookie at a time, spoon about one to two teaspoons of the candy coating on top of the licorice strips and cookie filling. Place the top back on the sandwich cookie.
5. With a spoon, place a small amount of candy coating on top of the sandwich cookies where the spider eyes will be placed. Immediately place two candy eyeballs onto the candy coating. Repeat with the remaining cookies. Allow to dry for at least two hours.
Reprinted with permission from Smart Cookie © 2014 Christi Farr Johnstone, Running Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group.