In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a quick and simple chicken dish. I found the recipe in "The Naptime Chef: Fitting Great Food into Family Life," by Kelsey Banfield (Running Press; $23).
Sticky Orange Drumsticks
(Makes 4 servings)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Zest and juice of 1 large orange
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, orange zest and juice, dark soy sauce and light soy sauce. Set the marinade aside.
2. Make three slashes about 1/4-inch wide on the top of each drumstick to help them absorb the marinade and fit the drumsticks snugly into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Pour the marinade into the dish, turning each drumstick around one full rotation to evenly coat it with the marinade. Cover the dish and refrigerate the drumsticks for at least three hours or up to a day.
3. Preheat the oven to 350F.
4. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the drumsticks on it, skin-side up. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the drumsticks and bake them for 45 minutes, brushing them with the leftover marinade halfway through. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly. Serve warm.