In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a delicious dessert, perfect for a warm summer day. I found the recipe at FoodNetwork.com.
(Makes 4 servings)
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups 1-inch cubed watermelon, chilled (about 2 pounds)
- 4 scoops strawberry ice cream or your favorite flavor
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- 4 to 8 maraschino cherries
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds or peanuts, chopped
1. Add blackberries to a medium bowl and sprinkle the sugar over in an even layer. Mix them together and mash with a fork. Let the mixture sit for 20 minutes. Add any extra juices from the watermelon, up to 2 tablespoons, to the berry mixture and stir to combine.
2. To serve, arrange 1 cup of the watermelon cubes into an "X" shape in a banana split dish. Place one scoop of the ice cream in the middle. Scatter 2 tablespoons of the blackberry sauce over the ice cream. Top with a dollop of whipped cream, 1 or 2 cherries and a tablespoon of nuts. Repeat for the remaining servings.