Have you ever had a fire or had a friend that’s been in one? We have not. But we know firefighters, and they say it’s scary.
Sean’s dad is a volunteer with the Greenlawn Fire Department, and Sean goes to the firehouse with him sometimes. And his dad is in EMS and his mom is an EMT.
We want to tell you how to be safe with fire. First, don’t play with matches. There are a lot of fires because people play with matches. If you see matches, give them to an adult. And if you use matches (do this only with an adult), put water on them before you throw them out.
Leaving an oven or a stove on is also a common cause of fires. A way to prevent this is to check that you have turned it off before you leave your house. Another way to accomplish this is to make sure there are no problems with your oven or stove. You can do this by getting an expert to check if you think there is something wrong with it.
When you leave your house, make sure your space heaters are off and unplugged. Also, when you leave the room or go to bed, turn the heaters off. Have a three-foot kid-free zone around an open fire or space heater.
One thing that can help you prevent fires from getting worse is a smoke detector. To make sure it always works, put new batteries in when the old ones run out of power. Another way to make sure your smoke detector is working at its full efficiency is to put new batteries in every month. Lastly, have a smoke detector on every floor of your house.
Barbara Wright’s fifth-grade class, Birchwood Intermediate School, Huntington Station