Are you looking for some exciting places to visit on Long Island? It’s a new year and here are some places that you should definitely put on your list to visit and enjoy in 2017. From land to sea, there are many beautiful places to see on Long Island. Listed below are, in my opinion, the top 10 places to experience the beauty of Long Island.
1. Fire Island Lighthouse. You can get there by driving to Robert Moses State Parking Field 5 and walking to the lighthouse or you can get there by water taxi from any of Fire Island’s beaches. Burma Road, Bay Shore, 631-321-7028, fireislandlighthouse.com
2. Fire Island National Seashore. Visit any of Fire Island’s luxurious beaches and eat at casual fine-dining restaurants. Some beaches have hotels or houses to rent if you would like to stay overnight. 631-687-4750, nps.gov
3. Cradle of Aviation Museum. See more than 75 air- and spacecraft in nine exhibit galleries from more than 100 years of aviation. Charles Lindbergh Boulevard, Garden City, 516-572-4111, cradleofaviation.org
4. Bethpage Ballpark. Come see the Long Island Ducks in the 6,002-seat baseball park. 3 Court House Dr., Central Islip, 631940-3825, liducks.com
5. Splish Splash. Go on 30 rides and runs at the 96-acre water park. 2549 Splish Splash Dr., Calverton, 631-727-3600, splishsplash.com
6. Sunken Meadow State Park. Enjoy biking, horseback riding and more at the 1,287-acre park. Sunken Meadow Parkway, Kings Park, 631-269-4333, nysparks.com
7. Long Island Aquarium. Visit during any season, and you can even sleep over and get free admission on your birthday. 431 E. Main St., Riverhead, 631-208-9200, longislandaquarium.com
8. The Whaling Museum and Education Center. See a whaling boat, scrimshaw samples, artifacts and dioramas. 301 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor. 631-367-3418, cshwhalingmuseum.org
9. Connetquot River State Park Preserve. Explore nature on the 3,473 acres of land and water. 3525 Sunrise Hwy., Oakdale, 631-581-1005, nysparks.com
10. Smith Point County Park. Relax on the ocean beach. Go camping and dine by the water. William Floyd Pkwy., Shirley. 631-852-1313, suffolkcountyny.gov
So, start planning today to begin making special family trips to exciting places on spectacular Long Island.