Are you having trouble convincing your parents to get you a dog? Here are some benefits of owning a dog. Bring these up the next time you are having a conversation about pets, and they just might change their mind:
- Resistance to allergies: Growing up with a dog from a young age can help prevent allergies and asthma. When you are exposed to the dirt, dander and fur during childhood, you build an immunity. Having a furry friend in the house can lower your risk by as much as 33 percent, according to the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.
- Lowers stress: Petting a dog can calm you down. Did you know playing with your pet can elevate the chemicals in your brain that are responsible for mood?
- Increases your physical fitness: Dogs need to be walked several times a day. This means their owners must get moving frequently.
- Teaches responsibility: Pets require a lot of attention. They need to be fed, walked, groomed and played with. Kids can learn to take part in regularly caring for their animal from a young age.
- Provides home security: Did you know that intruders are less likely to break into a home if there is a barking dog inside? Burglars don’t want to draw attention to themselves, so a yapping dog will send them away.
Now that you know the many ways dogs can improve your lifestyle, you’ll have a fighting chance the next time the topic comes up!