Looking for things to do with the kids besides heading to the beach, a parade or a barbecue? From carnivals and crafts to performances, Memorial Day celebrations and more, there's so much to do on Long Island. Here are 10 fun, family-friendly activities for Memorial Day weekend:
1. Brookhaven Fair at Pennysaver Amphitheater at Bald Hill (55 Bicycle Path, Farmingville). Families can enjoy entertainment, rides, games and other attractions, plus fireworks Saturday night. Check out the fair; from 5 to 11 p.m. on Friday, from noon to 11 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday and from noon to midnight on Monday. Price: $8 and cost of rides.
2. Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach State Park(2400 Ocean Pkwy., Wantagh) On Saturday and Sunday, from noon to 5 p.m., military and civilian performers take to the skies above the beach in honor of Memorial Day. Price: Free; $10 parking.
3. Chowderfest at the New Suffolk Waterfront (650 First St., New Suffolk) Chowders, barbecues, entertainment, children's activities, games, face painting and more Saturday from noon to 3 p.m. Price: $25 at the door, $20 (in advance), free for children 12 and younger. All proceeds go toward the restoration of the waterfront.
4. Whirling Wind Machines at Maritime Explorium (101 E. Broadway, Port Jefferson). On Saturday, Sunday and Monday, from 1 to 5 p.m., build a patriotic pinwheel and use it to test the direction of the wind. Price: $5.
5. Mosaic Street Painting Festival at East Ends Art Council (133 E. Main St., Riverhead) Families can check out gourmet-food trucks, street painting, entertainment, face painting and more children's activities Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. Rain date is Monday from 2 to 5 p.m. Price: Free.
6. Long Island Ducks VS Camden Riversharks at Bethpage Ballpark (3 Court House Dr., Central Islip). Head to a ballgame and route for your favorite hometown team on Friday at 6:35 p.m., Saturday at 1:05 p.m. and 6:35 p.m. and Sunday at 1:35 p.m. There will be a fireworks show after the night game on Saturday. Price: $12-$15.
7. Grow: Community Picnic at Hallockville Museum Farm (6038 Sound Ave., Riverhead). Grammy-nominated children's musician Brady Rymer performs on Saturday from 12 to 3 p.m. The Peconic Community School fundraiser features crafts, face painting, ice cream and more. Price: $20 ($15 advance), free for kids.
8. Carnivalat Norwood Avenue Elementary School (290 Norwood Ave., Port Jefferson Station). On Friday from 6 to 11 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 1 to 11 p.m., enjoy games, rides, food and entertainment. Price: Free admission, pay for rides.
9. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at The Stage Theater (2222 Pettit Ave., Merrick). A classic fairy tale involving a pursued princess, a jealous queen, seven daffy dwarfs and Prince Charming on Saturday at 2 p.m. Price: $10.
10. Messy Afternoons at the Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis Ave., Garden City) Kids ages 18 months to 4 years can get messy with paints, Play-Doh, goop and more to create works of art Saturday and Sunday from 3:30 to 5 p.m. Price: Free with museum admission ($12).